Summary- Tamara Draut explains in this essay how the 'college gap' is getting bigger in colleges around the United States. Many students are struggling to pay for school since tuition has gone up, and how financial aid nowadays is being given to those who are already capable of paying for college. Draut also emphasizes on the expenses and harsh competition in today's classes in many colleges. Many elite schools like Harvard, Stanford, and Yale give tours that are also very costly to those who even want to consider going there. However, if you do not have the money you can forget about your childhood dream.
Citation- Draut, Tamara, "The Growing College Gap," They Say I Say with Readings. Ed. Russel Durst New York: W.W. Norton and Company, 2009. 378-391. Print.
Quote- "When student aid is focused on merit rather than need, it tends to go to students from families who can already afford college tuition."
Reflection- This quote stood out to me because it bothered me that nowadays college financial aid is going to people who do not really need it. Financial aid should go to those who really struggle with money and who want to go to college to have a better education. It should not go to those who are already qualified to pay for college tuition. Also, financial aid should not be based on mart. Financial aid has aid in it for a reason. Now, I understand that even though people who have the ability to pay for school does not mean they shouldn't have some help for expenses since college is indeed very expensive. However, there are plenty of scholarships that can provide the support for more privileged children. Financial aid needs to go to those in need of it.
I am very fortunate to be able to pay for my education and have the ability to better my future. On the other hand, I feel passionate about those who want to have the chance to educate themselves just like me. I would never expect that since I am more privileged that I should get financial help. I want those who are in my generation to receive it because I know the further of tomorrow will be more benefited with more doctors, lawyers, teacher, and educated mothers and fathers.
Wonderful response. Your passion in this piece could certainly fuel an essay on the matter of making financial aid geared toward those in need. Just a thought :).
ReplyDelete