Citation: Brodesser-Akner, Taffy. "Facebook, The Mean Girl and Me." Dialogues: An Argument Rhetoric and Reader. Boston: Longman, 2011. Print
Summary: Brodesser-Akner explains in her essay about the years of growing up and growing apart from her friends. She tells the audience about her struggle in school to be accepted by her once best friends and by girls she tried to befriend. Her middle school career was laking in the social department and she never seemed to have best friends. However, since Facebook she is able to feel more accepted because she has added them as "friends" and them liking her posts and pictures makes her feel like they accept her again with a click of a button. Also, since she can talk to them via messaging she has seemed to notice that they are not as perfect as she thought they were or turned out to be.
Quote: "Why, then, am I sitting at my computer, concerned to distraction over the activities of the people who were cruelest to me during my favorite years."
Reflection: Facebook has become a new wave of communication. We seem to just add anyone that we have mutual friends with but, thats not really what Facebook is about. Its about keeping up with friends whether they are old or new. Time and, time again I find myself going through and deleting people I don't feel I should be friends with. However, I can't seem to delete the girls in school I didn't really like or I wasn't friends with. Just like Taffy, I seem to get enjoyment out of seeing what they are still doing and how they have turned out. Also, I feel when they like or comment on my page that they are just as fake as I thought they were. There will always be some enjoyment on being updated with someone else's life. It is interesting how we can be drawn in to someones open life on the internet.
No comments:
Post a Comment